Democrat Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez called concerns over the spike in crime “hysteria,” during a town hall with constituents on Friday.
These tone-deaf comments from Ocasio-Cortez come just days after President Biden was forced to address the rise in violent crime happening across America.
In typical Biden fashion, he attempted to blame everyone but himself for the increase in crime, specifically one of his favorite political targets: responsible gun owners.
Make no mistake. It is because of President Biden’s, Speaker Pelosi’s and Ocasio-Cortez’s Far-Left policies, like defunding the police, that there is a crime crisis in America.
BIDEN’S CRIME CRISIS BY THE NUMBERS:
- The New York Times reported a sample of 37 cities with data for the first three months of the year saw an 18% INCREASE in murders compared to the same time period in 2020.
- There have been 27 ambush-style attacks on law enforcement officers this year, a 50% INCREASE compared to the same time period in 2020.
- According to the FBI’s Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted database (LEOKA) fatal felony attacks on officers are UP 39% through May 2021 compared to the same time period in 2020.
- Homicides are up 533% in Portland, 58% in Atlanta, 37% in Philadelphia, and 22% in Los Angeles compared to the same time period in 2020.
- Shootings are up 126% in Portland, 64% in New York City, 51% in Los Angeles, and 40% in Atlanta compared to the same time period in 2020.
THE FACTS ABOUT GUN OWNERS:
- The FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) completed 4,317,804 total background checks in January of this year, marking the start of 2021 with the highest number of checks conducted in a one-month period.
- This high figure broke previous records, and indicates a growing demand for firearms by the American public.
- A total of 39,695,315 NICS background checks were completed in 2020, the most ever recorded for a single year.
- According to the Associated Press, “the number of people stopped from buying guns through the U.S. background check system hit an all-time high of more than 300,000 last year.”
- Despite claims by House Democrats that we need to expand the U.S. background system, this report clearly indicates that the NICS system works.
- There are currently 52,940 federally licensed firearm dealers in the U.S., many of which are small businesses.
Read more on the Crime Crisis from Leader McCarthy and Ranking Member Jordan in their letter to Attorney General Garland.