House Republicans remain committed to supporting Israel in its fight against the barbaric terrorist group, Hamas. Today, we will vote on House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Michael McCaul’s resolution, H.Res. 771, "Standing with Israel as it defends itself against the barbaric war launched by Hamas and other terrorists."
Over 420 House Representatives have united to co-sponsor this legislation. Yet, Far Left Extremist Democrats, including Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, Ayanna Pressley, Ilhan Omar, Jamaal Bowman, and Cori Bush, are refusing to support Israel’s right to defend itself. Failing to condemn Hamas and not standing with our greatest ally, Israel, weakens the global fight against terrorism.
HAMAS’ DESTRUCTION BY THE NUMBERS (as of Oct. 25):
- Over 1,400 killed in Israel - including civilians and IDF soldiers
- Over 4,600 injured in Israel
- 222 families informed their loved ones are being held hostage by Hamas in the Gaza Strip
- An estimated 250 hostages were taken, 200 held by Hamas, 50 held by others including Palestinian Islamic Jihad
- Over 7,000 rockets have been fired from Gaza towards Israel
MAKE NO MISTAKE: House Republicans will continue standing with our ally Israel as its borders come under attack yet again from Iranian-backed terrorists, and fully support Israel's right to defend itself from all acts of violence. In contrast, Extreme House Democrats continue their troubling pattern of siding with Israel’s aggressors.
HOUSE REPUBLICANS’ RECENT SUPPORT FOR ISRAEL:
- Rep. Michael McCaul (R-TX) introduced H.Res. 771, “Standing with Israel as it defends itself against the barbaric war launched by Hamas and other terrorists”.
- In February 2023, in a strong show of support for our ally, House Republican leadership sent a letter to President Biden encouraging the Administration to oppose and veto any anti-Israel resolution put before the U.N. Security Council.
- In April 2023, House Republicans voted to support the expansion of the Abraham Accords to encourage nations to normalize relations with Israel and express continued support for bilateral cooperation across economic, security and civilian issues.
- In May 2023, House Republicans voted to condemn the rise of antisemitism and call on elected officials to identify and educate others on the contributions of the Jewish American community.
- In June 2023, House Republicans voted to establish a Special Envoy for the Abraham Accords at the Department of State to strengthen and expand the Abraham Accords.
- In July 2023, House Republicans passed the FY24 National Defense Authorization Act with key priorities to support the U.S./Israeli partnership and enhance Israel’s security.
HOUSE DEMOCRATS’ HISTORY OF ANTISEMITISM AND SIDING WITH HAMAS:
- Members of the “Squad”, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, Ayanna Pressley, Ilhan Omar, Jamaal Bowman, and Cori Bush, failed to cosponsor H.Res. 771, "Standing with Israel as it defends itself against the barbaric war launched by Hamas and other terrorists."
- Rep. Rashida Tlaib recently spoke at a protest at our Nation’s Capitol, parroting Hamas talking points. She blamed Israel for an explosion in Gaza near a hospital that was in fact caused by the Palestinian Islamic Jihad misfiring their own rocket.
- Her claim has been widely proven false and yet, Rep. Tlaib has not walked back her comments.
- Rep. Rashida Tlaib also plans to speak at a conference headed by an anti-Israel coalition that has come under fire for being linked to Palestinian terror groups.
- At a progressive activist conference in July, Rep. Pramila Jayapal denounced Israel as a “racist state.”
- House Democrats boycotted Israeli President Isaac Herzog’s address to Congress.
- House Democrats refused to unequivocally stand with our partner and friend, Israel, over and over again, even throughout the May 2021 Hamas' terrorist attacks.
- House Minority Leader, Hakeem Jeffries, while in college defended antisemitic comments made by National of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan and his uncle Leonard Jeffries, and invited his uncle to speak on campus.
- Leonard Jeffries has spewed antisemitic conspiracies that Jew’s control Hollywood, compared Jews to “skunks,” and had called the Jewish community “evil.”