Read the House GOP Leadership’s statement on the Dobbs Decision:
Today, House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy (CA-23), House Republican Whip Steve Scalise (LA-01), and House Republican Conference Chair Elise Stefanik (NY-21) issued the following statement in response to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization:
“Every unborn child is precious, extraordinary, and worthy of protection. We applaud this historic ruling, which will save countless innocent lives.
“The Supreme Court is right to return the power to protect the unborn to the people’s elected representatives in Congress and the states. In the days and weeks following this decision, we must work to continue to reject extreme policies that seek to allow late-term abortions and taxpayer dollars to fund these elective procedures.
“The people’s representatives must defend the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for every American – born and unborn. As we celebrate today’s decision, we recognize the decades of advocacy from the pro-life movement and we acknowledge much work remains to protect the most vulnerable among us.”
THE FACTS ABOUT LIFE:
- An unborn child is a human life.
- Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization is a case involving a Mississippi law that limits abortion after 15 weeks.
AT 6 WEEKS:
- The unborn baby has a heartbeat of approximately 98 beats per minute
Blood vessels are forming into the circulatory system.
- The brain is rapidly developing.
BY 10 WEEKS:
- The unborn baby has arms and legs, fingers and toes.
- The unborn baby is sucking his or her thumb.
- The unborn baby can now sigh, stretch, move his or her head, mouth, and tongue.
- The baby can kick and will jump if startled.
- The unborn baby’s pain receptors have been developing for weeks (week 7)
BY 15 WEEKS:
- All of the unborn baby’s major organs have formed.
- The unborn baby has a fully developed heart that pumps 26 quarts of blood per day.
- The unborn baby can feel pain.
- Surgeries have been successfully performed on unborn babies at this age.
- Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America has now recorded more than 40 acts of violence and intimidation against pro-life individuals and organizations since the initial leak of the draft Supreme Court opinion.
- The U.S. is one of a small handful of nations, including China and North Korea, that allow late-term abortion on demand up to the moment of birth.
- The American people overwhelmingly believe babies born alive should be protected.
- According to a new Marist/Knights of Columbus poll, 61% of Americans say abortion should either be:
- Illegal – 17%;
- Left be up to the states – 44%.
- A recent Economist/YouGov national survey shows the majority of Americans support limiting abortion at 15 weeks at the latest:
- 65% of women
- 63% of men
- The majority of Americans hold strong opposition to Congressional Democrats and the Biden administration’s support of taxpayer-funded abortions:
- 58% oppose taxpayer dollars funding abortions in the U.S.
- 77% oppose taxpayer dollars funding abortion in other countries.
- 63% of Americans, including 42% of Democrats, oppose new federal rules that allow abortion pills to be sent through the mail without an in-person visit to a medical professional.
- On the government forcing their radical agenda on Americans:
- Three-quarters say healthcare professionals who have religious objections to abortion should not be forced to perform them.
- 54% say organizations who have religious objections to abortion should not be legally required to provide insurance coverage for abortion.
- Since 2016, pregnancy centers have saved more than 800,000 lives.