That is a question that President Biden asked of Republicans earlier this week.
That’s because just 9% of his nearly $2T bill goes to combatting COVID-19 through public health spending. The other 91% of the bill is focused on fulfilling Democrats’ political priorities, making clear that he and his party are more interested in using the pandemic as an opportunity to enact their agenda, which is something they have talked about doing for nearly a year.
Going back to President Biden’s question, would he be okay if the legislation cut Speaker Pelosi’s $112M subway to Silicon Valley?
Would President Biden support removing Senator Schumer’s Seaway Bridge to Canada that will cost taxpayers $1.5M?
What about the $135M for the National Endowment for the Arts? $135M for the National Endowment for the Humanities? $200M for the Institute of Museum and Library Services?
Does President Biden think that now is the time to spend $12,000,000,000 (that’s $12B) in foreign aid? Would he be okay cutting that?
Republicans have said from the beginning that any legislation should be temporary, targeted, and tied to COVID. This bill is the opposite of that. As Leader McCarthy has said, it is too costly, too corrupt, and too liberal. The Wall Street Journal Editorial Board has alluded to this in a piece earlier this weekthat detailed how Democrats’ legislation has little do with combatting the virus.
Of the $4T that Congress has already appropriated in COVID Relief, $1T has not yet been spent. And outside of stimulus payments in this new package, 45% of the spending can’t go out the door until 2022 or later, including 95% of the funding that they have allocated for K-12 education.