The last few weeks have been an unmitigated disaster for House Democrats – and they’re apparently still working through the first stage of grief.
When asked about the feeling among House Democrats, Conference Chair Hakeem Jeffries told reporters this morning “It’s all puppies and rainbows.”
Here’s a glimpse of what’s actually going on:
- The New York Times: “Tensions between Pelosi and progressive Democrats of ‘the Squad’ burst into flame”
- The Washington Post: “‘When friends fight, foes feast’: House Democrats warn of fallout from disunity”
- CNN: “Why can’t Nancy Pelosi and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez just get along?
- Politico: “’Don’t tweet about it’: Pelosi scolds progressives”
- USA Today: “Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib fire back at Nancy Pelosi’s ‘Twitter world’ quip”
- Slate: “What happened to unity?”
- The Hill: “Pelosi takes fire from progressives over border”
- Daily Mail: “I have NO relationship with Nancy Pelosi: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez accuses Speaker of trying to sideline her with loaded-up work schedule after top Democrat dismissed her ‘squad’ as just having Twitter following”
Bottom line: The “this is fine.gif” would be too perfect an embodiment of what House Democrats are going through. While Rep. Jeffries might claim that everything is perfect, the emerging rift between the Speaker and her most influential members isn’t going away anytime soon – and it threatens to split their party at the seams.