For weeks, the Biden Administration has turned a blind eye to the border crisis that their own policies have created. While the White House continues to downplay this situation and make false claims that surge of migrants flooding the border is “cyclical,” new data shows just how serious the crisis has become.
In March, unlawful border crossings reached their highest level in 15 years, as more than 171,000 migrants were taken into U.S. custody last month. This includes nearly 19,000 unaccompanied minors, which represents a 99% increase from February and a figure far above the previous one-month high of 11,861 in May 2019.
- The Washington Post: “Border crossings in March jumped to highest level in 15 years, data shows”
These new numbers come after reports have detailed the significant overcrowding at government facilities along the southern border. Despite this, the Biden Administration refuses to take steps to solve this problem or slow the surge of migrants coming to the border. New estimates from the Customs and Border Protection find that 184,000 unaccompanied minors will reach the United States this year, which would nearly double the number of UACs who came to the border in 2019:
- Fox News: “CBP projects 184,000 migrant children will cross border in fiscal year 2021”
Even while this situation continues to worsen, President Biden and Vice President Harris have not committed to visit the border and the Vice President’s staff has said that she is more focused on “diplomacy” efforts with Northern Triangle nations than solving the crisis currently unfolding. In an editorial published this morning, The Washington Examiner shows why President Biden is directly responsible for what’s taking place:
- WashEx (Editorial): “Joe Biden’s border crisis”
- Democrats and the liberal media are policing the words we should use to describe the absolute catastrophe we’re witnessing each day at the southern border. They don’t like “crisis” or “surge.” So, let us propose this description: Joe Biden’s fault.
- But something else happened in 2020 — the Democratic presidential primary. During that show, each one of the party’s presidential candidates pledged to open the border and load anyone entering the country up with welfare and free healthcare. Biden joined in that choir. The hymn to open borders carried down to the Northern Triangle. Come one, come all.
- He appointed his vice president to work once again with the governments of Mexico and Central America to control the swarms of people trying to enter the U.S. In other words, it’s back to what Trump had done. This is a problem that didn’t have to happen, but Biden brought it on the country anyway. Try as he may to blame it on his predecessor, the border crisis is his and his alone.