As Democrats race to pass their massive stimulus bill that advances their partisan interests instead of providing the targeted assistance that the American people need, they will be marking up the relevant portions of the legislation in House committees of jurisdiction this week.
In a marathon session in the Education & Labor Committee that concluded this morning, their radical agenda was on full display as the majority advanced bad policies like a federally-mandated minimum wage hike that will destroy jobs and also voted against common sense Republican amendments that would protect life, counter China’s malign activity, disincentivize illegal immigration, and more.
Education and Labor Committee Republican Leader Virginia Foxx (R-NC) issued the following statement after Democrats advanced their left wing partisan COVID-19 budget reconciliation scheme along party lines:
“Once again, Democrats are ignoring vulnerable, hardworking Americans, choosing instead to favor left wing special interests and those who support their radical agenda. Forcing children to miss out on a high-quality, in-person education while cherry picking the schools that receive relief and championing a job-destroying $15 national minimum wage hike is hardly ‘bold relief.’
“Republicans offered commonsense amendments to help all schools safely reopen, help small businesses stay afloat, and help workers reenter the workforce, all of which were voted down by Committee Democrats. Preaching that you want schools to reopen safely and then voting against measures to do so is the definition of hypocrisy. By advancing this partisan wish list disguised as COVID-19 relief using a sham process, Democrats are using Americans’ struggles to score cheap political points and prop up their failed liberal policies.”
Specifically, the Democrats’ legislation will:
- Kill 1.4 million jobs by raising the national minimum wage by 107 percent;
- Undermine the integrity of workers’ compensation programs and force taxpayers to cover many non-employment-related claims; and
- Endanger unborn children by allowing COBRA funds to go towards abortion services.
Committee Republicans offered commonsense proposals, but:
- Democrats refused to support school reopenings even after teachers are offered the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Democrats denied in-person learning to high-risk students.
- Democrats failed to provide American workers with much needed workforce skills and development education.
- Democrats give money to institutions of higher education who partner with Communist China.
- Democrats refused to protect small businesses who will be decimated by a $15 national minimum wage.
- Democrats favor student aid for illegal aliens at the expense of U.S. students.
🚨Democrats just advanced a partisan budget reconciliation scheme disguised as #COVID19 relief.
By using Americans’ struggles to prop up their misguided liberal policies, Democrats have failed students, workers and job creators.@virginiafoxx stmt 👇https://t.co/csmHyuN4zD pic.twitter.com/gjD7lM9l1T
— House Ed & Labor Republicans (@EdLaborGOP) February 10, 2021