CONGRESSWOMAN ELISE STEFANIK
H.Res. __ is expected to be considered on the floor of the House on Tuesday, March 9, 2010, under a motion to suspend the rules, requiring a two-thirds vote for passage. The legislation was introduced by Rep. Ruben Hinojosa (D-TX) on March 9, 2010.
H.Res. __ would resolve that the House of Representatives:
• "Mourns the significant loss of life, as well as the physical damage, caused by the February 27 earthquake and resulting tsunami in Chile.
• "Expresses its deepest condolences and sympathy to the families of the victims of this horrific tragedy, and solidarity with the millions of affected Chileans;
• "Recognizes that Chile is and remains a close ally and friend of the United States;
• "Recognizes further that Chile's embrace of democratic ideals and its government's ability to implement strict building standards due to its strong governance structure greatly mitigated the impact of this natural disaster;
• "Commends the rescue, relief and recovery actions, still underway, taken by the Chilean government;
• "Commends the United States Government, the entire international community, and non-governmental organizations for their prompt deployment of assistance to Chile;
• "Urges the President to continue to support the government of Chile, as the latter assesses its relief and recovery needs.
• "Pays tribute to the resilience, strength and courage of the Chilean people as they begin the recovery and rebuilding of their country."
On February 27, 2010, a devastating magnitude 8.8 earthquake struck Chile, one of the strongest earthquakes ever recorded.