CONGRESSWOMAN ELISE STEFANIK
H.Res. 282 is being considered on the floor under suspension of the rules, requiring a two-thirds majority vote for passage. This legislation was introduced by Representative Jeff Fortenberry (R-NE) on March 24, 2009.
H.Res. 282 resolves that the House of Representatives:
• "Recognizes the 30th anniversary of the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel, celebrates the treaty's strength and endurance, and commends the extraordinary diplomatic achievement that the treaty exemplifies;
• "Recalls the historic sacrifices sustained by Egypt and Israel in the cause of peace and commends the steadfast determination of both nations to sustain their mutual commitment to peace;
• "Calls for the strengthening of economic, diplomatic, and cultural relations between Egypt and Israel;
• "Urges the Governments of Egypt and Israel to strengthen the spirit of cooperation that emerged in 1979 as the Middle East faces new challenges;
• "Seeks to encourage continued United States efforts to foster candid, constructive initiatives to resolve existing conflicts and mitigate current and emerging threats to a just and lasting Middle East peace; and
• "Calls for recognition of the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel as a model mechanism upon which partner nations may build to overcome longstanding barriers to peace and effective mutual cooperation."
According to the resolution's findings, after decades of conflict, Egypt and Israel signed a peace treaty in Washington, DC, on March 26, 1979. The agreement was signed by President Sadat of Egypt and Israeli Prime Minister Begin. The treaty included mutual recognition of Egypt and Israel by each other, the end of the state of war between the countries, as well as the withdrawal of Israeli troops from the Sinai Peninsula. The two countries had previously been involved in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, the Suez Crisis of 1956, and the Arab-Israeli War of 1973. The peace deal came in part as a result of American diplomatic efforts in the wake of the 1973 war. Today, Israel and Egypt collaborate in efforts to address regional difficulties.