H.Res. 1503 is expected to be considered on the floor of the House on Wednesday, September 22, 2010, under a motion to suspend the rules, requiring a two-thirds majority vote for passage. The legislation was introduced by Rep. Kathy Castor (D-FL) on July 1, 2010.
H.Res. 1503 would resolve that the House of Representatives:
- “Supports the goals and ideals of National Estuaries Day;
- “Acknowledges the importance of estuaries to the Nation's economic well-being and productivity;
- “Recognizes the persistent threats that undermine the health of the Nation's estuaries;
- “Applauds the work of national and community organizations and public partners to promote public awareness, protection, and restoration of estuaries; and
- “Reaffirms its support for estuaries, including the preservation, protection, and restoration thereof, and expresses its intent to continue working to protect and restore the estuaries of the United States.”
According to the resolution’s findings, September 25, 2010, has been designated National Estuaries Day to increase awareness among all citizens about the importance of healthy estuaries and the need to protect and restore them.