CONGRESSWOMAN ELISE STEFANIK
H.Res. 1347 is expected to be considered on the floor of the House on Wednesday, May 26, 2010, under a motion to suspend the rules, requiring a two-thirds vote for passage. The legislation was introduced by Rep. Charlie Melancon (D-LA) on May 11, 2010.
H.Res. 1347 would resolve that the House of Representatives:
• "Recognizes the untimely and tragic loss of the 11 workers from the States of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas who died on the Deepwater Horizon offshore oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Louisiana;
• "Extends the deepest condolences of the Nation to the families of these men;
• "Recognizes all employees on the Deepwater Horizon for their hard work and sacrifice;
• "Commends the rescue crews for their valiant efforts to rescue these workers and others on the platform; and
• "Honors the many volunteers who provided support and comfort for the families of these people during this difficult time."
According to the resolution's findings, 11 workers tragically died on the Deepwater Horizon offshore oil platform following an explosion on April 20, 2010.