H.R. 4773: Fort Pulaski National Monument Lease Authorization Act

H.R. 4773

Fort Pulaski National Monument Lease Authorization Act

Date
July 13, 2010 (111th Congress, 2nd Session)

Staff Contact
Communications

Floor Situation

H.R. 4773 is scheduled to be considered on the House floor on Tuesday, July 13, 2010, under a suspension of the rules requiring a two-thirds majority vote for passage.  The legislation was introduced by Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA).  The bill was referred to the Committee on Natural resources, which reported the bill by unanimous consent on June 16, 2010.

Bill Summary

H.R. 4773 would authorize the Secretary of Interior to lease 30,000 square feet of land within Fort Pulaski National Monument to Savannah Bar Pilots Association.  Under the legislation, the rental fee for the lease would be based on “fair market value.”   The term of the lease would not be longer than ten years, but the Secretary could extend the lease in up to year increments at his discretion. 

Background

Fort Pulaski National Monument is located in Chatham County, Georgia, between Savannah and Tybee Island.  The fort was used as a prisoner of war camp during the Civil War and was the first fort upon which the Union Army tested a riffled cannon, which eventually rendered brick forts obsolete.   The monuments size is approximately 5,600 acres. The Savannah Bar Pilots Association, which has been located on the island since 1940, is responsible for steering commercial shipping through the river. The association operates under a special use permit issued by the park service. However, NPS is seeking to convert the special use permit to a lease, for which the agency requires congressional approval.

Cost

According to CBO, “implementing the bill would have no net effect on the federal budget.”