CONGRESSWOMAN ELISE STEFANIK
On Tuesday, April 28, 2015, the House will consider H.R. 1690, to designate the United States courthouse located at 700 Grant Street in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as the “Joseph F. Weis Jr. United States Courthouse,” under suspension of the rules. H.R. 1690 was introduced on March 26, 2015, by Rep. Mike Doyle (D-PA) and was referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, which ordered the bill reported, by voice vote, on April 15, 2015.
H.R. 1690 designates the United States courthouse located at 700 Grant Street in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as the “Joseph F. Weis Jr. United States Courthouse.”
Joseph F. Weis Jr. served as a Federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit from 1973 until his death in 2014, and on the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania from 1970 to 1973. He was appointed to both positions by President Richard Nixon, and was confirmed by the Senate. Prior to his appointment to the Federal bench, he served as a judge on the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County. Judge Weis served as a captain in the U.S. Army during the Second World War, and is interred in Arlington National Cemetery. The House passed an identical bill (H.R. 5146) by voice vote on December 8, 2014, during the 113th Congress.
 House Report 113-611 at 2.
The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates that enacting H.R. 1690 would have no significant impact on the federal budget
For questions or further information please contact Jerry White with the House Republican Policy Committee by email or at 5-0190.