CONGRESSWOMAN ELISE STEFANIK
The House is scheduled to consider H.Con.Res. 159 under suspension of the rules, requiring a two-thirds majority vote for passage. H.Con.Res. 159 was introduced on June 25, 2009, by Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL).
H.Con.Res. 159 resolves that Congress:
• "Solemnly recognizes the fifth anniversary of the declaration by the United States Congress of genocide in Darfur, Sudan;
• "Regrets that this determination has yet to yield effective action on the part of the United Nations and other nations which maintain significant influence in Sudan, including China and certain members of the Arab League;
• "Urges the United States to work with other responsible nations to support a negotiated settlement to the conflict in Darfur and full implementation of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) for Sudan, in accordance with the terms and timeline established therein, while implementing a more robust set of multilateral measures against those individuals who act as obstructionists to peace, including those who continue to sell arms to belligerents in Sudan;
• "Urges member states of the United Nations to provide sufficient resources to support the deployment of a fully capacitated African Union/United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID), including by supplying required tactical and utility helicopters and other mission enablers; and
• "Urges the parties to the conflict in Darfur to cease their attacks upon civilians and humanitarian and peacekeeping operations, and to fully commit to finding a political solution to the crisis in Darfur without further delay."
On July 22, 2004, the Senate and the House of Representatives passed S.Con.Res. 133 and H.Con.Res. 467, respectively, declaring genocide in Darfur, Sudan. On September 9, 2004, then-Secretary of State Colin Powell agreed with the Congress, stating that, "genocide has been committed in Darfur." This determination was made in response to evidence of a systematic campaign of ethnic cleansing launched by the Sudanese regime. As a result of the Sudanese regime's genocidal campaign in Darfur, over 300,000 Darfuris have died and nearly 3,000,000 have been displaced.