Our current health care system is fundamentally unfair, unworkable, and, for too many unbearable.
And the president’s health care law is just making things worse. The proof is in what Chairman John Kline (R-MN) of the Education and the Workforce Committee describes as a law that, “[has been] driving up costs…depressing hours and wages for low income workers…placing significant strain on Colleges, Universities, and K-12 schools.”
House Republicans are fighting to offer the highest quality health care to the greatest number of people at the lowest possible cost.
As Chairman Kevin Brady (R-TX) of the Ways and Means Committee puts it, “We need a new 21st century health care system that is affordable and flexible enough to move with us as we move through life – no matter our age or circumstance.”
But that’s not going to come in the form of top-down mandates and one-size-fits-all regulations, which we are seeing now. Instead, it’s going to come from commonsense solutions that put the patient first.
That’s why last week we released A Better Way to Fix Health Care, our comprehensive plan to fix America’s health care system and to provide A Better Way to empower every American and provide access to the quality, affordable medical care they deserve.
- More choices and lower costs. Our plan gives you more control and more choices so that you can pick the plan that meets your needs—not what bureaucrats in D.C. decide you need.
- Real protections and peace of mind. Our plan makes sure that you never have to worry about being turned away or having your coverage taken away—regardless of age, income, medical conditions, or circumstances.
- Cutting-edge cures and treatments. Our plan clears out the bureaucracy to accelerate the development of life-saving devices and therapies.
- A stronger Medicare. Our plan protects Medicare for today’s seniors and preserves the program for future generations.
As House Republican Conference Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers says, our Better Way Agenda isn’t just a bunch of words, or policy papers. It’s about real solutions that put the American people back in control of their lives – including their health care. Most importantly, this isn’t a return to the pre-Obamacare status quo, it is a new approach to ensure that every American has access to quality, affordable health care.
Here’s a closer look at our Better Way to Fix Health Care:
- “Yes, we have some pretty solid ideas that have been around there for a while. Pre-existing conditions. Allowing folks to shop across state lines. Coverage for young people… but we also grasp with some issues of reality.” —Chairman Fred Upton (R-MI) of the Energy and Commerce Committee.
- “[This is a plan] where patients, and families, and doctors, are making medical decisions, not Washington, D.C..” —Chairman Tom Price (R-GA) of the Budget Committee.
The difference between our proposals and our current health care system, Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) explains, is that our current system “…is focused on quantity – it put the bureaucracy first. Our plan will focus on quality – we will put the patient first.”
After all, it’s called the ‘People’s House’ for a reason.
For more information on House Republicans’ bold new policy agenda visit better.gop.