Today is Tax Freedom Day — the day when the nation as a whole has earned enough money to pay its total tax bill for the year. This year, Tax Freedom Day falls on April 24th, 114 days into the calendar.
What better way to celebrate our tax freedom than with 9 quotes from our 39th President, Ronald Reagan:
1. “Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
2. “We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much.”
3. “Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.”
4. “No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we’ll ever see on this earth!”
5. “Simple fairness dictates that government must not raise taxes on families struggling to pay their bills.”
6. “Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government always finds a need for the money it gets.”
7. “You can’t be for big government, big taxes, and big bureaucracy and still be for the little guy.”
8. “The American people are not undertaxed, the government in Washington is overfed.”
9. “Whenever we lower the tax rates, our entire nation is better off.”
Happy Tax Freedom Day. You may now start keeping the money you’ve worked for.