“This bill respects the American people, their priorities for our nation, and their hard-earned tax dollars, and it will help move our great country forward to a more stable and prosperous future.”
-House Appropriations Committee Chairman Rodney Frelinghuysen
House Republicans are prioritizing the safety and prosperity of Americans above all else. When we talk about appropriations and government funding, it’s easy to get lost in the mix of complex wording and numbers. Government funding, one of the primary responsibilities of Congress, is so much more than a financial spreadsheet. This is what we call “the power of the purse.”
Appropriations bills, like the one below, provide the funding for services everyday Americans rely on daily. Without it, funding for critical services and programs supported by the federal government would lapse, harming the people who depend on them.
This is why we passed H.R. 3354, The Make America Secure and Prosperous Appropriations Act. This bill provides $1.1 trillion in regular funding for 12 individual appropriations bills.
The 12 appropriation bills outlined in H.R. 3354 will help keep our food supply safe, support our public health preparedness, invest in critical infrastructure, and fight devastating wildfires. These bills are, at their very core, protecting and supporting our economy and freedoms — and focusing on the American people’s priorities.
15 American wins in The Make America Secure and Prosperous Appropriations Act
- It cracks down on illegal immigration and provides full funding for the administration’s request for a wall.
- It provides the biggest pay raise for our troops in 8 years.
- It increases funding for law enforcement to combat terrorism, violent crime, and drug traffickers.
- It fully funds authorized levels for anti-opioid abuse programs.
- It rolls back job-killing regulations.
- It prevents Planned Parenthood from receiving federal funds, saving $330 million in taxpayer dollars.
- It cuts the IRS by $149 million, which holds the agency’s budget below the 2008 level.
- It provides $789.7 billion in national security priorities to ensure the safety of all Americans.
- It includes funding for FEMA to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards through disaster response.
- It fully funds wildland fire suppression at the 10-year average cost.
- It cuts or terminates several lower-priority, unproven, or unnecessary programs.
- It prioritizes security assistance, including funding to help assist in the fight to defeat ISIS and other terrorist groups.
- It fully funds the $3.1 billion for Israel, consistent with the 10-year Memorandum of Understanding.
- It advances critical investments in rural America’s infrastructure.
- It funds NASA and NASA Science programs supporting further space exploration.
The passage of this bill by the U.S. House of Representatives moves us one large step closer towards fully funding the government for FY 18.
Stay tuned as we continue our work! Click here to see Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers’ take on the bill.
We want to hear from you!
Tell us what you think about The Make American Secure and Prosperous Appropriations Act