At today’s White House Press Briefing, Jay Carney attacked Congress for the airline delays the Obama administration and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) are now implementing as a result of the President’s sequester.
#ObamaFlightDelays Fact Sheet
(Courtesy of the Committee on Transportation and Infastructure)
- FAA has known about the sequester for over a year and a half, but gave Congress and the airline industry less than a week’s notice about its implementation plans
- FAA’s operations budget has grown by 109 percent since 1996, from $4.6 billion to $9.7 billion, while domestic flights are down 27% from 2000 traffic levels.
- FAA has a history of poor financial management
- Three key modernization programs have had cost overruns of a combined total of over $4 billion
- In the last seven years, the FAA has sent over 18,000 employees to conferences in destinations such as Las Vegas
For more information about the Obama Administration’s FAA furlough plans, click here.