|Date||March 15, 2013 (113th Congress, 1st Session)|
|Staff Contact||Kimberly Betz|
On Friday, March 15, 2013 the House will consider the following amendments that were made in order to H.R. 803, the Supporting Knowledge and Investing in Lifelong Skills (SKILLS) Act.
1. Representative Foxx (R-NC) Manager’s Amendment – the amendment provides an application process for local or regional boards to be designated as a local workforce investment area, authorizes GAO to complete two studies related to Workforce Investment Act programs, and makes technical and clarifying amendments.
2. Representative Gallego (D-TX) Amendment #3 – the amendment adds advanced manufacturing in the state and local plans sections to assist American veterans obtain better job opportunities.
3. Representatives Young (R-AK), Cole (R-OK), and Noem (R-SD) Amendment #8 – the amendment changes the percentage of authorized state allotment funding set aside for American Indian, Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian employment and training grants. It replaces a provision that limits the set aside to no more than one percent of total funding.
4. Representative Black (R-TN) Amendment #1 (Revised) – the amendment expresses a sense of Congress that any administrative costs to federal, state, or local entities as a result of this act be off-set by funds currently being used for market and outreach at the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
5. Representative Garrett (R- NJ) Amendment #6 (Revised) – the amendment requires that if reports due to Congress that evaluate the programs that are covered by this legislation are not transmitted on or before the time period specified for that report, amounts authorized to be appropriated under this title shall be reduced by 10 percent for the next fiscal year and reduced by an additional ten percent for each subsequent fiscal year until such report is transmitted to Congress.
6. Representatives Tierney (D-MA), Hinojosa (R-TX), and Miller (D-CA) Substitute Amendment – the substitute amendment reauthorizes the Workforce Investment Act.