|Sponsor||Rep. Davis, Susan A.|
|Date||December 19, 2012 (112th Congress, 2nd Session)|
|Staff Contact||Lisa Collins|
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012, the House is scheduled to consider H.R. 6166 under a suspension of the rules requiring a two-thirds majority vote for passage. The bill was introduced by Rep. Susan Davis (D-CA) on July 23, 2012, and referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.
H.R. 6166 would designate the United States courthouse located at 333 West Broadway Street in San Diego, California, as the "James M. Carter and Judith N. Keep United States Courthouse.”
James Marshall Carter served as the Chief Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of California from 1943 to 1946, and then U.S. Attorney for the Southern District from 1946 to 1949. He was nominated by President Harry Truman to a new seat on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California on September 23, 1949. He served as chief judge from 1966-1967. In 1967, he was elevated to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals by President Lyndon Johnson. Judge Carter was instrumental in separating the Southern District of California from Los Angeles and was a leader in the creation of the Federal Defender Project. He passed away on November 18, 1979.
Judith Nelson Keep graduated first in her class at the University of San Diego Law School, worked as a criminal defense attorney from 1973 to 1976 and was nominated to the state bench in 1976. She was nominated by President Jimmy Carter to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California in 1980. She was the Southern District’s first female federal judge and its first female chief judge, serving from 1991 to 1998. She died of ovarian cancer on September 14, 2000.
The $368 million federal courthouse recently opened in San Diego.
A CBO score of H.R. 6166 was not available as of press time.