|Date||July 23, 2012 (112th Congress, 2nd Session)|
|Staff Contact||Andy Koenig|
On Monday, July 23, 2012, the House is scheduled to consider H.R. 3742, to designate the United States courthouse located at 100 North Church Street in Las Cruces, New Mexico, as the “Edwin L. Mechem United States Courthouse,” under a suspension of the rules requiring a two-thirds majority vote for approval. The bill was introduced on December 20, 2011, by Rep. Steven Pearce (R-NM) and referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, which reported the bill by voice vote on June 7, 2012.
H.R. 3742 would designate the United States courthouse located at 100 North Church Street in Las Cruces, New Mexico, as the “Edwin L. Mechem United States Courthouse.”
According to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, Born in Alamogordo, New Mexico in 1912, Judge Mechem attended local schools until transferring to the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, where he received a degree in law. He then returned to New Mexico to practice in Las Cruces and Albuquerque.
From 1942 to 1945, he served as an agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and from 1947 to 1948, he served as a member of the New Mexico House of Representatives. Judge Mechem was elected Governor of New Mexico four times: in 1950, 1952, 1956, and 1960. Upon the death of United States Senator Dennis Chavez, Judge Mechem was appointed United States Senator to serve out the remainder of Senator Chavez's term until November 1964. And, in 1970, he was appointed by President Richard Nixon as a federal judge for the U.S. District Court of New Mexico. He served from 1970 to 1982 and took senior status from 1982 until his death in 2002.
According to CBO, enacting this legislation would have no significant impact on the federal budget.