|Sponsor||Rep. Napolitano, Grace F.|
|Committee||Energy and Commerce|
|Date||May 24, 2010 (111th Congress, 2nd Session)|
|Staff Contact||Ja'Ron Smith|
H.Res. 1258 is expected to be considered on the floor of the House on Monday, May 24, 2010. The legislation was introduced by Rep. Grace Napolitano (D-CA) on April 15, 2010.
H.Res. 1258 would resolve that the House of Representatives:
• "Supports the designation of Mental Health Month in order to place emphasis on scientific facts and findings regarding mental health and to remove the stigma associated with mental illness;
• "Recognizes that mental well-being is equally as important as physical well-being for citizens, communities, businesses, and the economy in the United States;
• "Applauds the coalescing of national and community organizations in working to promote public awareness of mental health and providing critical information and support to the people and families affected by mental illness;
• "Supports the finding of the President's Commission on Mental Health that the Nation's failure to prioritize mental health is a national tragedy; and
• "Encourages all organizations and health practitioners to use Mental Health Month as an opportunity to promote mental well-being and awareness, ensure access to appropriate services, and support overall quality of life for those living with mental illness."
According to the resolution's findings, it would be appropriate to observe May 2010 as Mental Health Month.