|Sponsor||Rep. Gingrey, Phil|
|Date||September 22, 2010 (111th Congress, 2nd Session)|
|Staff Contact||Andy Koenig|
The House is scheduled to consider H.R. 5152 under a suspension of the rules, requiring a two-thirds majority vote for passage, on Wednesday, September 22, 2010. H.R. 5152 was introduced on April 27, 2010, by Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-GA) and referred to the Committee on Natural Resources, which reported the bill by unanimous consent on July 22, 2010.
H.R. 5152 would expand the boundaries of the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park in Georgia by eight acres. The boundary would be expanded to include the parcels of land known as the “Wallis House and Harriston Hill.” The legislation would allow the Secretary of Interior to acquire land from willing sellers only and administer any new land in accordance with laws governing the maintenance of the existing Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.
According to House Report 111-606, the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park was initially set aside for preservation in 1917 and has been managed by the National Park Service (NPS) since 1935. The park commemorates a Civil War battle which, according to the committee, proved a major turning point for the Union Army. The House Report also states that Wallis House is one of the few remaining structures associated with the battle and that Harriston Hill was strategically significant as the Union signal station. The land in question is currently owned by Cobb County and the county has expressed an interest in donating the land to the NPS for preservation.
According to CBO, H.R. 5152 would cost about $1 million to maintain the additional land over the next five years.