|Sponsor||Rep. Royce, Edward R.|
|Committee||Energy and Commerce|
|Date||December 8, 2009 (111th Congress, 1st Session)|
|Staff Contact||Ja'Ron Smith|
H.Res. 55 is expected to be considered on the floor of the House on Tuesday, December 8, 2009, under a motion to suspend the rules, requiring a two-thirds vote for passage. The legislation was introduced by Rep. Edward Royce (R-CA) on January 13, 2009.
H.Res. 55 would resolve that the House of Representatives:
• "Supports raising awareness and educating the public about Prader-Willi syndrome;
• "Applauds the efforts of advocates and organizations that encourage awareness, promote research, and provide education, support, and hope to those impacted by Prader-Willi syndrome;
• "Recognizes the commitment of parents, families, researchers, health professionals, and others dedicated to finding an effective treatment and eventual cure for Prader-Willi syndrome;
• "Supports increased funding for research into the causes, treatment, and cure for Prader-Willi syndrome; and
• "Expresses support for the designation of a National Prader-Willi Syndrome Awareness Month."
According to the resolution's findings, Prader-Willi syndrome is a complex genetic disorder that occurs in approximately one out of every 15,000 births; it is the most commonly known genetic cause of life-threatening obesity.