|Sponsor||Rep. Halvorson, Deborah L.|
|Committee||Energy and Commerce|
|Date||June 23, 2009 (111th Congress, 1st Session)|
|Staff Contact||Adam Hepburn|
H.Res. 543 is being considered under suspension of the rules, requiring a two-thirds vote for passage. The legislation was introduced by Rep. Deborah Halvorson (D-IL) on June 12, 2009
H.Res. 543 resolves that the House of Representatives:
• "Supports the designation of "Home Safety Month";
• "Recognizes the contributions of home safety related nonprofit organizations for their ongoing commitment to ensuring families remain safe in their homes;
• "Recognizes the contributions made by the Home Safety Council to the efforts of `Home Safety Month' for recently introducing a new and innovative online tool to help adults identify the dangers present in and around the home, designated as www.MySafeHome.org, and for promoting the Hands on Home Safety Campaign, whose goal is to educate and empower both families and businesses to take simple actions that will make homes safe and minimize their risk for potential injuries, or even death;
• "Encourages adults, parents, and caregivers to take greater actions to reduce unintentional injuries and educate themselves on the importance of home safety, for themselves and their loved ones;
• "Encourages manufacturers to develop innovative safety products and features to help lessen the number of home injuries and accidents; and
• "Encourages local and national government leaders to support funding for critical home safety education programs to reduce the risks from home injuries."
According to the resolution's findings, unintentional injuries in the home result in nearly 20,000 deaths and 21 million medical visits each year. The most common causes of home injury deaths are falls, poisoning, fires/burns, choking/suffocation, and drowning/submersion. During June 2009, the Home Safety Council is working to educate and motivate families to take actions that will increase the safety of their homes. The Home Safety Council is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing home related injuries.