|Sponsor||Rep. Reichert, David G.|
|Date||October 27, 2009 (111th Congress, 1st Session)|
|Staff Contact||Ja'Ron Smith|
H.Con.Res. 177 is expected to be considered on the floor of the House on Wednesday, October 21, 2009, under a motion to suspend the rules, requiring a two-thirds vote for passage. The legislation was introduced by Rep. David G. Reichert (R-WA) on July 31, 2009.
H.Con.Res. 177 would resolve that the Congress:
• "Supports the designation of Celebrate Safe Communities Week;
• "Supports Crime Prevention Month;
• "Commends the efforts of the thousands of local law enforcement agencies and their countless community partners educating and engaging residents of all ages in the fight against crime;
• "Asks communities across the country to consider how Celebrate Safe Communities can help them highlight local successes in the fight against crime;
• "Encourages the National Sheriffs' Association and the National Crime Prevention Council to continue to promote through Celebrate Safe Communities and year-round, individual and collective action, in collaboration with law enforcement and other supporting local agencies, to reduce crime and build safer communities throughout the United States; and
• "Encourages government agencies, civic groups, schools, businesses, and youth organizations to educate the public, showcase their accomplishments, and explore new partnerships during Crime Prevention Month."
According to the resolution's findings, "Celebrate Safe Communities" will help promote year-round support for locally based and law enforcement-led community safety initiatives that help keep families, neighborhoods, schools, and businesses from crime. The week of October 1, 2009, through October 3, 2009, would be an appropriate week to designate as "Celebrate Safe Communities" Week.